Saturday, December 19, 2015

Custom Humidor

Just in time for Christmas, I finished this custom humidor.  As I hinted to in a previous post, the flag on top is the 31st Virginia Infantry battle flag.  The client has a lot of interest in his family's involvement in the Civil War, and apparently they fought for the 31st Virginia Infantry.  I also added his initials, monogram style, to the front.


The humidor is built out of Spanish cedar, veneered in walnut.  All of the veneer is 1/16" (1.5 mm) thick.  The marquetry is white oak and dyed maple.  The edging is Brazilian ebony and holly.  I finished the humidor with shellac and wax.




To ensure the humidor outlasts me, I built it using full blind dovetails.  This provides plenty of strength without having joints that telegraph through the veneer.


The divider has felt on the ends and is movable (it's just a snug friction fit).

I believe the most challenging aspects to this were the dyeing of the veneer and cutting such a thick packet on the chevalet.  I want to explore dyeing thick veneer more and try to perfect that process.  This one worked out OK, but I think I can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment